Alright...time to hear my stuffy complaints about recitals and concerts. I was planning on posting a rave review of a concert of a German Band I went to this evening, however by the time the concert ended, my opinion had changed. The musicians were superb, there's no doubting that. But a certain soloist felt the need to spray his slide during EVERY SINGLE REST he took. I wish I was exaggerating. I wouldn't have minded had it happened only several times, but by the end, I just couldn't watch anymore. I couldn't listen to the band because I was so distracted by his behavior.
I know I should be thrilled to have heard one of the most revered bands in Germany, as well as an internationally known trombone player, but I really can't let this one go. The fact that he needed to spray his slide THAT often indicates to me that he doesn't feel he can play properly without doing so...that he needs that spray in order to sound good. It was quite disappointing. I'm not trying to be judgmental, but it honestly affected my ability to enjoy the concert. I understand that some circumstances do call for quick adjustments or fixes, but this was to the point that it was completely unprofessional.
Hrmph.
In other news, I decided I'm going to be a conductor in my spare time. In addition to playing gigs and dabbling in arranging. I really hope it's something I could do well at - it's not going to be easy, but I think it'd be a great joy.
Surprising results at my first observation. Hopefully it's the truth and I really AM doing well, because I certainly don't feel like I am. In this chaotic whirlwind of a life, I'm doing the best I can to make a positive impact. I suppose the reality of the real world is more shocking than I expected.
Well, tests to grade, tests to write, garageband projects to create, and who knows what else is on my to-do list. Night night, sleep tight.
No comments:
Post a Comment