Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First Day

Hola.

For the record, it didn't FEEL like a real first day - "specials" (most derogatory word for a class ever) didn't teach today, we just spent a few minutes walking from room to room and introducing ourselves.  Instead, I worked on my plans and things all day.  It was kind of a bummer - a very NON-exciting day that you would imagine would feel monumental.

However, as the day went on (and I was superly duperly productive during this day, I might add), several exciting things DID happen:

For one, when I went walking around from room to room saying hi to everyone, I got to one of the 4th grade classes and I started off my whole shebang..."Hi!  You don't know me yet because I'm your NEW..." and as I kept going, the kids started yelling out: "we know you we know you!"  Then they started to use some of the hand percussion stuff I taught them in JUNE!  I taught that class (back when they were 3rd grade) for 20 minutes one day in JUNE, and they remembered me!!!  But MORE importantly, they remembered what I taught them :-D

That was really encouraging (I love that class).  That, and some kids were so excited for a concert and for instruments that they threw their hands up and cheered :-D

Then, some not as exciting things happened.  The school's ONLY photocopier completely broke down.  As in...completely.  Won't be fixed 'til Friday (and only MAYBE at that).  Also, I was given a NEW schedule for TOMORROW that has different grades on it (argh) (argh argh).  These things combined mean that tonight is going to be superly stressful.  I only just got home, and I figured I'd take a minute to de-stress by munching on some yummy extra sharp cheddar cheese and saltine crackers :-D  And OJ (I love OJ)  (without pulp)  (and with calcium, in case you were wondering :-P).

Soooo I left work and went off to the main office downtown to check in AND get free stuff that was donated to my organization.  I walked out (only barely, though) with probably $150 worth of free stuff from different companies (Staples, Walmart, etc..).  I'm talking huge packs of pencils, pens, post its, 2 reams of paper, approx 100 folders, notebooks, glue sticks, paint, markers, crayons, erasers, an electric pencil sharpener...I'm not even sure what else I got but I definitely got it!  (someone had to help me in the parking lot - I almost didn't get the box to my car).  The great thing is just that these are things that I can use FOREVER...doesn't matter if I don't use it this year, I can use it next year and everything'll still be great.  Which is made even MORE great because in an hour or so I hafta head out to a store to pay something like $30 for photocopies of letters to parents and surveys and things for my students tomorrow.  Argh.

I'm fairly stressed about getting ready for tomorrow - I have 6 classes ranging from 1st - 4th, and I have a feeling it's just going to get more complicated as the week (and my crazy insane schedule) progress.  But I have an AMAZING poster I took a picture of that maybe I can get uploaded sometime.

That's all - lots to do.

I have to say...it's hard for me to feel sympathy.  I was reflecting on my horoscope that I got several days ago...it was something about how having my attention was something rare and special that should be valued.  That sounds incredibly mushy and lame, but then I thought about it and I realized something.  For 2 years now, I've given you everything I've got.  That's something that NO ONE else in the entire world can say...
When I think of it like that...when I think of how I chose to spend so much time with you, that I invested so much into us when I didn't have to, or when I could have done the same thing with someone else...it makes what we had seem so important.  The fact that I picked you out of everyone on the planet...it makes it more special :-/

I know the fact that you bothered to save our friendship after junior year means a lot too...but it doesn't cover up everything else I'm feeling :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment